Friday, September 24, 2010

What Does "NaNoWriMo" Mean?

     Is this some strange new language or is this in fact English?  It is, in fact, English.  "NaNoWriMo" stands for "National Novel Writing Month". (Check out the link in "links of note").  During the month of November, people all over the world attempt something that is nearly impossible, maddening, and highly stressful.  They try to write a 50,000 word novel in a month.  Not a complete manuscript by any means, but a roughly rough draft.  This year I am attempting to do the same.  I am going to join with a group at the library and we are all going to attempt this feat of modern novel-dom.  (I do believe that novel-dom should be right up there with "truthiness".  If Stephen Colbert can create words, than so shall I!)
     To get ready for my attempt at "NaNoWriMo" I completed a project that I called "30 poems in 30 days".  I wrote a poem a day for 30 days during the month of July.  I had a general theme and diligently wrote a poem every single day for 30 days.  I enjoyed it so much and my momentum was such that I did not want the project to end.  I currently am revising and editing these poems and I hope to publish them.  Several exceptional poems came out of this writing frenzy that don't fit the theme of the book, so I am going to send those off for publication as individual poems.  What's interesting about the ones that I'm going to publish outside the book, is that they more or less arrived complete and have required little or no editing.
     By the end of year, I will be editing my novel (if all goes well during "NaNoWriMo"), editing my book of poetry, and the other night I happened upon a children's book that I wrote several years ago.  I entered it in a contest years ago.  It didn't win, but I think with some work it could become something great.  (Or not, who knows) 
     I'm glad that you checked in with me today. . .leave me a comment. . .tell me a story . . let me know you're out there. . .

No comments: